The Apollo Theatre was designed by architect Lewin Sharp specifically for musical theatre, and opened in Shaftesbury Avenue in February 1901 — making it the fourth legitimate theatre in the street.
The brick building includes a four-level auditorium with an ornate plaster shallow-domed ceiling, three cantilevered balconies and a first-floor central loggia. The use of cantilevers to eliminate the need for columns in the auditorium was an innovation at the time.
Shaftesbury Avenue, London, UK
Monaghan Blythe & Hopkins